Sunday, January 22, 2017

Women's March: Why I Marched

Unless you have been living under a rock you have hear about the Women's March. If you disagree with the march than this post is not for you, plain and simple. If you want to learn more about my experience than please keep reading. Also, feel free to share your experiences down below in a comment. I would love to read them!
I knew from the first second that I learned about the Women's March that I wanted to go. I detest everything that President Trump stands for, and I knew that I needed to make my disgust known by participating. I went to a sister march, and spent the day being surrounded by like-minded individuals that wanted to show their support for everyone that Trump discriminates against. I won't be bringing up his name again in this post, because even typing it makes me sick to my stomach and he simply isn't worth my time. 

During the march I was able to witness older women and young girls interacting and uplifting one another. It was a beautiful thing to see. I applaud all of the parents that brought their daughters. It is vital that children learn about the political and democratic process at a young age. It also made my heart happy to see so many future feminists. I also enjoyed seeing how freaking creative everyone was. Their posters were on point! 

Everyone in attendance had their own reason for marching. I have many reasons why I was there, but primarily I was there to speak out against the vile treatment of women in this past presidential election cycle. I was absolutely appalled at the attacks that were waged against women. Women were treated as sexual objects that are incapable of thinking for themselves or contributing positively to society. It is time to take a stand against sexism and other forms of bigotry within our society. I cannot tell you how many times I have been on the receiving end of sexist comments and catcalling. It is a demoralizing experience that no one should ever have to go through. It is disheartening that so many politicians in this country participate in hateful rhetoric and believe that women should just except these atrocities. I will not remain silent when women of different backgrounds, color, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status are marginalized. We need to take care of our sisters and ensure that EVERY woman is treated with dignity and respect.

I appeal to all of my readers to get involved in their communities. Volunteer with an organization or charity that revolves around an issue that you are passionate about. Be vocal when you see injustices within your community. Call people out when they use hate speech or use derogatory language. Take a stand!

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. See you all soon! Xo 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!