Thursday, April 27, 2017

How I Relax: Sanity Savers

As I have gotten older I have found that it is more important than ever that I take time for myself to decompress and relax. I tend to be the type of person that bottles things up when I'm stressed, so finding outlets for me to relax and be calm are vital for my sanity. I've compiled a list of my top 5 sanity savers in the hopes that it might help someone else that needs to relax and unwind. Please let me know in a comment below what strategies that work for you.


Sanity Saver #1: Music
The song Shake It Out by Florence + The Machine has been my go-to song since it came out in 2011. Whether I am relaxing on my bed and listening to it while practicing yoga breaths or dancing around my living room, this song always lifts my spirits and makes me feel like everything is going to be okay. Pretty much any Florence + The Machine songs chill me out. I used to listen to her albums on repeat whenever I was stressed in college. 

Sanity Saver #2: Reading
Reading books, any books, instantly calms my mind. I tend to reach for fantasy or science fiction books whenever I need to have a bit of an escape from the real world. I recently have been purchasing collectors editions of children's books that I loved as a child, and I love looking at the illustrations and rereading the stories that I loved.  To be honest, everyone should take some time to read children's books. They are just plain happy!

Sanity Saver #3: Trashy Reality TV
Reality television isn't even a guilty pleasure of mine. It is a pleasure that I indulge in frequently. Yes, I know that they are trashy and that I could be watching something more educational, but I love The Real Housewives. Bravo is on my TV probably just as much as the History Channel, which is saying something. I will literally watch ANY reality show whenever I need to zone out.

Sanity Saver #4: Water
You may be like, um water? Yes, I literally mean any body of water. I love sitting my the river near my house or taking trips to the beach and just sitting and listening to the water. Everything about it clears my mind and allows me to think. I went on a trip to a lake a couple months ago and spent almost an hour by myself on the dock just listening to the water and watching the fish swim by. It had to be one of the most relaxing days I have had in awhile.


Until next time! Xo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!