Sunday, April 23, 2017

Meaghan Reads: Some of My Favorite Books

Books have been my greatest tool for escape since I was a child. I love nothing more than curling up with a blanket and a good book. I could lock myself away for hours reading (and I have). Basically, books = bae. Below I have thrown together a list of my favorite books. This list will include a mix of YA/children's books and adult novels and books. I will literally read anything put in front of me, so my favorites can be a bit eclectic.  


The first book that I have to mention is Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: A Handbook for Unapologetic Living by Jes Baker. Jes runs the website The Militant Baker, and is a very outspoken voice in the body positivity movement. I came across her website when I was in college and going through a pretty long period of body hate. Her posts were a god sent. They helped me to love my body, and helped to educate me about body image. I was beyond excited when I found out she released a book, and ran to Barnes and Noble to grab my copy. Her book challenges common misconceptions about weight, encourages self-love, and educates people about body shaming. Oh yeah, she also is absolutely hilarious. I couldn't put this book done, and find myself rereading it whenever I need a pick me up.

The next book on my list is Yes Please by Amy Poehler. I've been a fan of Amy Poehler since she was on SNL. Her one-liners and comedic timing are incredible. This book is a collection of stories, poems, and pieces of advice that really show how funny Amy is. This is a great book to bring to the beach and just get lost in. I brought it along last year on a trip I took, and I had to force myself to put it down around 3 am so that I could get some sleep. All of the stories she included about when she was younger are so relatable, and I love her girl power message.

Now, it's time for a children's/ YA book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts I & II by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne. This is the screenplay for the Harry Potter play that was performed in 2016. I was a huge fan of Harry Potter growing up, and I was so excited to find out that someone was continuing the story into Harry, Ron, and Hermione's adulthood. I really enjoyed being able to see the characters become parents and deal with a brand new villain. I highly recommend this to anyone that is unable to see the play in London or loved the original series. 

The last book on my list is The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. I know, many people don't like books with romance in them, but I absolutely love them. Nicholas Sparks' books might be a bit dramatic at times for my taste (my life is stressful enough), but when he gets it right he gets it REALLY right. The story revolves around a Marine that finds a photograph of a young woman while he is on duty in Iraq. He then decides to find the girl. I won't spoil the plot for anyone that hasn't read the book or seen the movie, but it's really good. I will say that this book and Safe Haven  are tied for my favorite books by Sparks. Heck, just read both of them. This man has made me cry each and every time I have read one of his books, and that says something since I'm not a crier. I mean, have you read The Notebook?!

I have loads of other books that I could include on this list, but I figured I would keep it short this time. Let me know if you like this kind of thing, and I can recommend some more books. Until next time! Xo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!